Session 3 2023 Production Project

Video Editors” by Stephen Ransom Photography is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

SUMMARY

Role

Editor

Intention (SMART Goal) for the Session

By Jan. 12, as the Editor for TEAM 4, I will learn more advanced color grading techniques and formats, by following How to Color Grade S-LOG2 Footage in Premiere Pro (Without LUTS) for Session 3.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Taylre Jones

Taylre Jones specializes in the field of color correcting and grading in different films. He has been the lead colorist on many different short films, series, ads, and other things. In the video, he explains the tools he uses to color grade and the mentality he takes on when making creative choices. He explains the continuity that must go into this, and the workflow that follows work based on a varying environment.

Training Source(s)

0:00 He is clueless on how to use Premiere color grading (uses DaVinvi), so I can relate and learn with this nice man

1:32 Use different layers to separate the color grade from the original footage

2:13 Create three points to change different levels on the image

3:07 Create contrast in the image, with high and low levels of brightness

4:15 What changes to make to increase saturation

5:34 How to change specific colors to the desired brightness

6:26 Use HSL secondary to help adjust skin tones properly

6:42 Use the mask feature to select the proper areas to change

8:02 Specific changes to make to change the skin (mid-tones, highlights)

8:47 Use a vignette to better highlight the subject

Project Timeline

Pre-production Milestones

• Storyboard 12/12
  • Finish Script 12/13

Production Milestones

• Start Filming End 12/14
  • Film Jack Talk Scene 12/18
  • Film Audrey Talk Scene 12/19
  • Start Film Fight Scene 1/3
  • Continue Filming Fight Scene 1/4
  • Re-Shoots available 1/5
  • Finish Filming

Post-production

• Begin Editing By 1/8
  • Review Final Edits On Film 1/11

Proposed Budget

Evidence of Team Planning and Decisions

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Here is our film, Food Fight:

Food Fight

Skills Commentary

I was the editor of our film. My smart goal was focused on color grading log or similar styles of film shots. The whole film is color-graded manually from CineStyle footage the camera shot in.

Slideshow: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1dx9gUAQhyZ-1UudV08PPavNrP8ug0nfylBUzNRkF_I0/edit?usp=drive_link

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

One of the ways I had to be creative was through the use of color grading throughout the film. The choices in color were important but also needed to feel consistent to look good, which took time. Also fixing certain shots that may not flow perfectly and making them still work required problem solving.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I worked with John, our director, and used direct feedback from him to help guide the stylistic and pacing choices when editing. I also spoke with Audrey, our screenwriter, on how the dialogue and other parts of the film should proceed. John and I worked together to organize different components of the film as well.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

One of the main ways that I learned to color grade was through the usage of online videos, especially those relating to color grading slog footage, similar to the lens we used on our camera. This helped make the colors look better, as well as correcting other things like skin color too.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

One of the best career skills developed in this situation was the flow that we had going when it came to filming, editing, providing sound effects, and other factors that made the process successful as a team effort.

Reactions to the Final Version

James Clark said that he liked the pacing, writing, and overall story that was told. Specifically the beginning dialogue, and then the extended ending, all making the film funny but realistic. Overall the fundamentals used were successful in creating a complete and quality film.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I thought that we did very good on this film, even if there were places where it could have been polished. As an editor, I was able to successfully color grade, even if it was relatively simple, it made the film visually much better. I also thought that the pacing in the fight scenes as well as the dialogue made the film flow well without slowing down. If there were one improvement to make, I would want to be more experimental in the editing choices and colors used as a whole.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

John 👍